Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Off Trail Adventures

My dad recently sent me the following text: "You may or may not be losing New England but you are absorbing the spiritual footprints of the Civil War. No wonder your feet hurt."  It's not just the Civil War I've been absorbing,  but the natural and social history of the Appalachian Mountains.  Continuously running headfirst into history has been such a ball, especially when it happens when I least expect it.  (For example: the Overmountain Men, back in Tennessee, who crossed over the Appalachian Mountains to take part in the Revolutionary War.  I'd never heard of them before I came across an informational sign in the middle of nowhere.)  Likewise, seeing the remnants of old foundations, and chimneys, and graveyards keeps reminding me how the land over which I'm walking has had a diverse and rich history, well before the Appalachian Trail was but a gleam in the eye of the National Park Service and Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

I haven't just been taking in trail history, however, but have been spending my time off of the AT bushwacking backwards through history.  A lot of the folks I've met on the trail don't quite understand why I've been getting off it, exploring the surrounding communities and historical sites.  For some people, hiking the AT is simply about that: hiking the AT, heading north, with few distractions.  But for me, getting off of the AT and taking in some of the area surrounding it is almost as important.  (Also, taking a break now and then REALLY helps my mood, especially on the days when I'm covered with sweat before I even get out of my tent.)  As such, I've visited Blacksburg, Thomas Jefferson's Poplar House, Appomattox Courthouse, Stonewall Jackson's House, FOAMHENGE!, Luray Caverns, and Antietam.  (Also Pearisburg, but I'm still trying to forget that place.) I'm planning on getting off the trail again for Gettysburg, and hope to also see Centralia, PA and the Hershey Factory, as well. 

I'm limited on my time on this computer, so I can't really come up with a solid thesis to link all of these photos together, except to say that I've never felt more curious, more excited about history, and more willing to deviate and detour from my plan than I have over the past few months.  And I love it.

Luray Caverns.  Sorry there is no sense of scale, so just trust me:
this was HUGE.

What's Mosby's Confederacy?  No idea, but I'm going to find out!

Antietam

Sunken Road, Antietam

Appomattox Court House

Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment