Saturday, June 11, 2011

Losing New England

As the halfway point of the AT rapidly draws near, I've been thinking a lot about what the purpose of this trip is.  Why am I out here?  What am I doing?  Is dropping out of society, enduring the pain of my feet swelling daily, showering and washing my clothing just once per week, living in the dirt with the snakes and the bugs, is all of this really worth it?  Am I saving the world by hiking the AT?  Nope.  Am I contributing to society in a meaningful way?  Not really.  Am I making a living, advancing my status in society and moving up the ladder?  Most assuredly not.  Is hiking the AT, in some way, a selfish endeavor?  Well... yes.

But here's the thing: if everyone did the things they loved, the world would be a much better place.  Even if I'm not volunteering, or cleaning up the environment, or working within the normal constraints of society, by doing something that is so deeply personal and meaningful and lovely, I AM contributing.  It may not be obvious, and it may just be temporary, but by living a dream, I AM making the world a better place.  And that's reason enough to keep going.

4 comments:

  1. I read this quote just minutes before reading your post:

    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true" Leon Joseph

    I was doing a day hike in Massachusetts yesterday (Mt. Race - Sages Ravine) and ran into two different AT thru-hikers - both the most pleasant and happiest women! Nice to run into such happy people so I would say, yes, you are making the world a better place by sharing your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just by posting your thoughts on the blog is contributing, you have 38 followers and many many more who do not register, who i know are inspired and happy every time they click on the link and see a new post. By just affecting one persons view on the world you are making it a better place,
    Keep Happy and hike your own hike

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're pursuing your Quest, following your bliss (Joseph Campbell's phrase from his series, "The Power of Myth").

    You are reinvigorating your life, infusing it with a new dose of that dream energy we have in abundance in childhood as we encounter the world for the first time. As your life up until now has been informed by your childhood, the rest of your life will be colored and filled with the memories you're creating now. At the end of your Quest, you will be a larger, better person (Bree 2.0), and you will see possibilities you wouldn't have, and have the confidence to carry out any new ambitions.

    We all hope to be fortunate enough to see the outcome of your journey.
    Till then, we wish you courage for all the Dragons you face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bree,

    You are contributing smiles along the way. Those are priceless!

    ReplyDelete