Friday, June 10, 2011

In Memory

Life on the trail is occasionally hard.  Lately I've been battling black flies and ticks, hot and humid weather, and swollen and sore feet.  However, feeling like I'm missing out on important events is one of the hardest things, and while being out of touch with world events is often a blessing, at times it hits home, hard.  Several weeks back I got an email from my sister with the subject line "Sad News," and a description of a childhood hero who had passed away. 

I spent some time reflecting on this most unlikely of heroes, and trying to figure out how to honor him while on the trail.  I thought back to the time when I watched him regularly on television, and how for a time my sister and I would cheer him on, every Saturday morning, without fail (much to the bewilderment of our parents).

And as I do not have black fringed arm band and sunglasses to wear, Mr. Macho Man, I snap into this Slim Jim in your memory.

Ooooohhhhh Yeeeaaahh.

Rest in peace, good sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment