Thursday, April 7, 2011

Definitions, Continued

Greetings from Fontana Dam, where I find that my brief, 2 hours max pit stop to resupply, do laundry, and take a shower has morphed into an all day event involving ice cream and somehow avoiding lunch (gotta work on that, as this ice cream isn't sitting well on an empty stomach).  Anyhow, I'm here briefly, and will be setting off tomorrow morning bright and early for the Great Smoky Mountains.  I've been hearing great things about the geology and the views, although less great things about cell phone reception.  Expect me to be incommunicado for several days.

I left a couple of pertinent definitions off my my list from last time, and so here is part the second of vocabulary that will help you understand future entries in this blog.  This will hopefully be my last 'definitions' entry, and I'll move on to another entertaining way of keeping you all updated.  Hopefully.

To start.

Whiteblazing - The AT is very well marked by white blazes.  In fact, it's so well marked that most hikers do not carry a map or compass, but instead rely on their guidebook and the white markings on the trees (or signs, or trash cans) to know the way.  It can get a little confusing leaving the shelters in the morning (do I go left or right?), but generally, it's pretty easy.  Every once in a while I get a little bit uncomfortable because I'm not used to not having a map, but then I just follow the crowd (and crowd it is- there are about 30 people that I see regularly).  Anyhow, there are also blue blazes, which generally lead to either shelter or water.  All other blazes (orange, red, etc.) are not related to the AT, and are consequently ignored.

There are a couple of other terms that are thrown around that are similar to whiteblazing, such as 'pink blazing,' which refers to men adjusting their schedules to follow certain ladies up the trail.  (I'm sure that some women do the same thing, but there are far fewer of us on the trail, and most ladies seem seem to be hiking with a partner of some sort.)  Blue blazing (not to be confused with blue blazes) refers to taking shortcuts along the AT (ie: not being anally retentive and insisting on walking every single step of the AT).  Green blazing refers to those folks who smoke weed the entire length of the trail. (Holy shit are there a lot of those folks.  I know I should be used to it by now, but I've never seen so much abundantly available weed before.  Also beer at the shelters... I'm sorry, but my pack weighs 40 lbs when full.  I'm not carrying in an entire 12 pack of PBR to drink, and can't understand the folks who do.)

An example white blaze along the trail.

Hitchhiking - I suppose that for most of you, hitchhiking is not something that you do frequently, along with riding in the back of pickup trucks at high speeds.  However, as an AT thruhiker, hitchhiking is the best way to get around town (although I've heard that this is less true farther north).  Most trail towns are very hiker-friendly, and contain lots of folks who have hiked the AT before.  I've been surprised at how easy I've found it to hitchhike- several times I haven't even turned around to stick out my thumb before a car pulls over.  It's kinda nice, and I've really enjoyed getting to meet interesting folks. 

Jetpack and Eats, on their first back-of-the-pickup truck ride. 
(For the record, I rode shotgun, and had a lovely conversation with
the man who picked us up about hiking the trail and the need to
give back to trail community.  More on that below.)

Sense of Humor - Having a sense of humor helps make each day that much more fun.  Although humor can get old at times (In case you didn't know, I have a theme song to go with my trail name, and it's sung to the tune of the Spiderman theme song.  Sadly, it's a bit too catchy, and has gotten stuck in my head far too many times (and makes me wish for Cee Lo Green to return to the rotation in my head).  Happily, it has also gotten stuck in the heads of the folks who sing it at me often, and they're starting to stop.  Thankfully.)  Anyhow, humor often breaks the monotony, and provides plenty of opportunity for immature giggling, as seen below.

This is an actual trail name. 

This is a modified gap name.  I'm sure you agree, both are funny when unexpected.

Trail Magic - Up until a few days ago, trail magic meant finding a cooler of soda or some muffins left on the trail for curious thru-hikers to find (which is AWESOME).  The idea behind trail magic is for the folks who either make their living by the trail (running hostels, or shuttles, or outfitters) or those who have hiked it before to be giving support to those currently hiking the trail (who, when the finish, feel so grateful that they return the favor by leaving things for others to find).  Picking up hitchhikers is another common way to give back, which is one of the reasons why it's been so easy down here. (Also, it's legal.  That always helps).  Anyhow, a few days back I was hiking the trail and approached a gap at around 5:30 in the afternoon.  I tend to be cautious whenever I see cars near trail crossings; I hike alone mostly, and don't want to be the statistic that proves I was wrong about how safe the trail is.  Anyhow, as I approached the gap I saw a van, and immediately became suspicious, as it was a large van (not too dissimilar to the Silence of the Lambs van).  However, I quickly noticed that some of my buddies were lounging on the grass near the van, and so I approached.  As it turns out, it was two former thru-hikers (Doc and Llama) who were handing out beer, soda, donuts, chips, cookies, wine, burgers, and hot dogs, all for free.  I ended up hanging out with them (and their three dogs and young son) all night, and in the morning they sent us on our way with donuts and coffee.  Amazing! 

A word about the trail community so far- it's been amazing hiking with folks I don't know so well and having them look out for me.  The other day Jetpack and Eats waited at a trail junction because there was someone sketchy there as well, and because they knew I wasn't far behind.  Today Bat mentioned that he'd been hoping I'd show up at Fontana Dam soon, because he knew I hiked alone.  Between knowing that folks are keeping tabs on me, and seeing how welcome I am whenever I show up (someone always yells out 'LADYPANTS' whenever I arrive somewhere), it's been an absolute joy to be part of this community.
Trail Magic has never been so awesome.  It was unbelievable.
New England- you've got to step it up... maybe not to this level,
because you'll go broke, but a few sodas and cookies left at trail crossings
sure would be nice.

Hiker appetite - Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm afraid to say this, but I've turned into a glutton.  I knew that I would get the thru-hiker appetite one of these days, and would be eating like mad, but I didn't really expect it to happen so quickly, and so extremely.  Exhibit A: Getting into the N.O.C., stopping by the restaurant, and eating an entire 10 inch pizza by myself, and not feeling full.  Exhibit B: Breakfast the next morning consisted of three sweet potato pancakes, home fries (friends, that's a lot of potatoes right there, but sadly, not my record for most potato products eaten in a single breakfast), two slices of toast, two eggs, and two cups of coffee.  I ate it all, too.  Nom nom nom...

So much food!

Media Blackout and Government Shutdown - So as far as I understand, there's a lot that I've been missing, living the simple life in the woods and all.  It's been very nice to not be keyed into the whole 'world is ending, we're all gonna die, and thankfully Fox News is going along for the ride' thing.  For example, I have no idea what's happening in Japan.  I'm aware that Elizabeth Taylor has died, but I don't know any of the details, and can't even venture a guess as to what song Elton John will sing at her funeral.  Also, there's a royal wedding coming up, and I can't tell you a thing about it.  Hooray!  The only thing that concerns me these days is the government shutdown, because that may or may not (depending on the source of the news) affect both the postal service (Letters from all of you!  Care packages from home!) and the Park Service (Being kicked out of the Smoky Mountains would be a major bummer).  But honestly, what will be will be, and no matter what happens, I'll follow parental advice, and just walk it off.

More updates from Hot Springs, North Carolina.  Laters, gaters.

5 comments:

  1. Good news: the Postal Service won't be affected if there is a shut-down. Rain, snow, rabid Chihuahuas, inept Congress... nothing gets in their way.

    Bad news... Park Service IS on the hit list.

    But, maybe you'll have extra time to read your mail...?

    Yeah.

    Love ya, LP. See ya in 11 weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smokies is always free, no matter what, Citizen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Bree, I love reading your updates. Your definition of hitchhiking reminds me of my first time in NH. (Hitchhiking, of course!). My stomach hurt a little looking at all of that food you ate...I can't believe you at all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this blog, Bree! Seems like you're taking to the trail quite well, hope you are taking care of yourself! Just FYI- I will most likely be taking the PE exam with you again... it did not go well. -Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bree, your blog is particularly refreshing on intense office days. I feel so free! Or, at least for a moment.. :)

    ReplyDelete