Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Over Halfway There

We left the Inn at the Long Trail on Sunday morning after a hearty breakfast, and have been pushing miles to try to get to Waitsfield in 3 days.  The weather for the first two days was nice, but yesterday the wind picked up and it started raining just as we were making the steep and slippery descent from Abraham towards Mt Ellen. The Stark’s Nest (a ski lodge left open for hikers at the Mad River Glen ski area) was a welcome respite; despite there being no heat or electricity, the lodge provided an enclosed space with windows to peer out of and feel infinitely grateful for no longer hiking in the elements.

I haven’t spent too many hours hiking outside of my comfort zone, but as we approached the Stark’s Nest I was starting to see the edge of it rapidly approaching. I was soaked through to the point where my raincoat only kept the wind off. My feet were sloshing around in my trail runners, which had gotten wet hours earlier. The weather seemed to be picking up, and since we were on a ridge line, we were consistently bombarded by the wind. As the sky grew darker, I kept asking myself: whose bad idea was it to do the 19.5 miles from Emily Proctor Shelter? Oh right, it was mine. But is it really a bad idea if the day ends with a warm sleeping bag and a giant bar of chocolate? 

 I’ve been thinking a lot about the people who set Fastest Known Times (FKTs) on trails. The current FKT for the Long Trail is about 4 and a half days (or more, depending on if it’s a supported, self-supported, or unsupported hike).  To put that in perspective, a FKT contender would have had to do the mileage that took us 11 hours and then do 40 more. I can’t even imagine having that level of fitness. My body is holding up okay- my feet are a bit sore, but I don’t seem to have the hiker hobble that characterized much of my AT thru hike. Im tired and sore, but I feel good and competent and happy (and so very filthy).

We hitchhiked into Waitsfield when we got to Appalachian Gap this morning, and resupplied for the next 60 mile stretch, which will take us over the final two 4,000 footers: Camels Hump and Mansfield. We decided that after 56 miles in 3 days we deserved a short day, so we are spending the afternoon at Lawson’s Finest Liquids, where we are eating real food and having a celebratory beer.

Recharged, we’ll make our way back to the woods and cap off a short day with a meal made from perishables: Chorizo, a red pepper, shallots, and instant mashed potatoes. Mostly perishables, anyways. I’m looking forward to having more vegetables in my life again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment