Saturday, April 2, 2011

Definitions

Hiya, folks.  I'm writing to you today from a trail town: Franklin, North Carolina.  I've walked over 100 miles already, and honestly, have loved (almost) every moment.  The hardest part of this has been the nights- I just get so damn cold!  I'm working on a solution to this that does not involve torching my severely lacking in warmth zero degree bag (WTF! It has not been below zero yet!), and hope to be warm through the Smoky Mountains, which are coming up SOON.  I have yet to sleep the night through- mostly I get my sleep in several hour increments, before waking up to either rain, insanely loud snoring, or lack of warmth.  But honestly, this doesn't matter too much, as I've been spending between 10 and 11 hours every day in bed.  Turns out it's hard to keep your eyes open when electricity isn't providing a reason to do so.  :)

To get you all ready for updates to my blog for the next few months, I'm presenting the definitions for commonly used phrases on the trail.  Hopefully this will help alleviate any future potential communication issues.  Buckle in, because here we go (in no particular order):

Appalachian Trail: The Appalachian Trail (or, AT) is a hiking trail that runs from Georgia to Maine, covering 2,181 miles (+/- 10 miles, depending on your source).  Over 2,000 people set out trying to hike the AT each year; only about 25% succeed.  The trail winds its way through 14 states, and the elevation gain is the equivalent to hiking Mt. Everest 16 times (or so I've been told).

Sometimes the trail looks like this, and it's a good day.

And other times, like this.  This is less of a good day.

Hikers: A thru-hiker is person who hikes the trail in one year.  Section hikers are hikers who hike the trail in sections across many years.  Either way, upon completion, these hikers become 2,000 milers.  You can hike the trail either from the north to the south (a southbounder, or SOBO), or from the south to the north (a northbounder, or NOBO).  For example:

Hopefully, your favorite NOBO thru-hiker,
as viewed from the start of the approach trail at Amicalola Falls.

Ditto, but on the AT.

Shelter: A three sided structure with a roof, usually with a sleeping platform that allows 7 to 12 hikers to sleep (or attempt to sleep, if they forgot ear plugs).  The nicer shelters are clean, new, and have picnic tables.  The less nice ones are mouse infested hell-holes with privies without roofs (or no privies at all).  All shelters have log books where you can note the date and any comments thus far about either the shelter or the hike.  Common courtesy dictates making room for those hikers who arrive late, or when it's raining. (This is why last week I spent a very cozy night surrounded by 10 men in a shelter designed for 7.  Talk about a cultural experience!)


This is the shelter where I spent my first night.

Blood Mountain Shelter, the oldest shelter on the AT. 
Pretty and spooky, all wrapped up into one. 


When there isn't room in the shelter or when I'm feeling like I want
a bit of alone time, I sleep in my hammock.  Yes, it's comfy. 

Bear Bags: There are bears on the AT, some of whom have already grown fat by stealing the food of hikers who perhaps weren't quite careful enough.  There are numerous people already who have had their food stolen during the night by bears, mostly in the first few days (and mostly for the people who weren't camping at shelters).  (One guy goes by the trail name 'Bear Bait' for this reason.  More on trail names below.)  This is because at most shelters there are things called bear cables, from which to hang your food bag at night.  The bear cables are high enough, and complicated enough that bears can't get at the food.  This also keeps the people in the shelter a bit safer, because if the food is hung high and far away, the bears are less likely to look at the tired hikers wrapped in their sleeping bags as tasty sausages. 

Bear bags in the foreground, shelter in the background.

Rain: There's a saying on the trail: No pain, no rain, no Maine!  The weather is not going to be perfect for the entire 2,000 mile hike, and sometimes you're going to have to hike in inclement weather.  As such, on the day that that I did an easy 7 miles in the rain (and consequently tore up my feet with blisters) I wrote a limerick:

I hiked all morning with heel pain,
Cold and alone in the rain,
Through thunder and lightening,
Which I found to be frightening,
I sure hope I make it to Maine!

Rainy day.

Tree struck by lightening the night before.  There were
 shards of bark and wood scattered up to 30 feet away. 
It made me very glad to have stopped hiking at 7 miles the
day before.  Eeek!  (Sorry, couldn't rotate this one.)

Trail Names: The AT is a place for many things, including anonymity.  Nearly every hiker takes (or is given) a trail name, usually having something to do with an event that happened early in their trip (ie: Bear Bait) or something funny or clever (ie: That Guy).  Some people chose their trail name based on their real life nickname (ie: Sarge) and others just make no sense at all (Searching Polo).  Anyhow, I was feeling minor anxiety as I started to approach 100 miles because I didn't have anything even close to a trail name, and nearly everyone else I knew already did.  However, I'm pleased to announce that after having several names tossed around (including No Spam), I have been dubbed "LadyPants."  For those of you questioning this name, take a look at the photo and see if you can figure it out.

Hint: I'm wearing pants!  And a dress!  That makes me FANCY! 
(Although not as fancy as the woman in a hiking skirt, perfume, makeup,
and a French manicure.... unless you think that my dirty fingernails count
as a reverse French manicure, and my odor... well... let's just leave it at that.)

Hiking buddies: Flying solo has been wonderful so far, but lately I've been enjoying the day hiking with others.  (As much as I love living in my head, I haven't gotten as much hardcore thinking done because I had Cee Lo Green stuck in my head endlessly on repeat.  Not a happy way to hike, I'm afraid.  I'd like to Forget him, if you know what I mean.) Surprisingly, my new group seems to enjoy my company as well.  :)
Who Knows, Rainbow, Firestarter, and me, LadyPants.

Off to the post office.  I hope you all enjoy your Saturday!  LadyPants, over and out.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should write a book! - some awesome storytelling, sounds like you are having an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree,

    You are awesome! This is a very cool blog and i am sooo jealous of the ignorance that you have been blessed with in terms of the Royal Wedding and things of that nature.
    I'm really glad you've made it through all of the crazy weather unscathed (knock on wood).
    Lot's of Love and Enjoy!

    Zach Plerhoples

    ReplyDelete