Friday, February 4, 2011

You've been asking...

Here are some of the answers to the questions you've been asking me.

Q: Who are you going with?  A: Nobody.  I know that this probably makes most people feel a little bit nervous, but I am starting the hike alone.  However, approximately 1,500 people will be starting the AT between March and May, and although 75% will drop out before they complete the trail, I'm confident that I will only be alone when I well and truly want to be alone. 

Q: Are you carrying a gun?  A: No, I am not carrying a gun.  I neither want nor need a gun to keep me safe.  Also, guns are heavy.

Q: But aren't you worried about running into bad people or animals?  A: Not really.  I'm more worried about ticks and eating well.  Also leeches.  Yeeeech. 

Q: Are you bringing a book / a kindle / a journal / a computer?  A: Yes and no.  Some thru-hikers have been known to shave the handle off of their toothbrush to save weight; others are less conservative with their total pack weight.  I'm not sure where I'm going to fall on this spectrum, but I suspect it's on the light-weight side of things.

Q: How often will you get off the trail and shower?  A: According to me, about once per week, depending on availability and cost.  According to you, not nearly often enough, especially if you're going to volunteer to hike with me or pick me up from the trailhead and let me crash at your place.  Sorry in advance.  :)

Q: Can I hike with you?  A: YES!  I'm open to anyone hiking with me, as long as you understand that I can't commit to any particular date, time, or location this far in advance.  Also, I will be requiring home-made cookies, so you'll need to bring some.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping to leave before this spring and am getting EXACTLY the same questions. I love how we are all the same, but different.
    =Nora

    ReplyDelete